The Lymans are awesome. They are a great family with a wonderful Spirit. When I served in Shippensburg, they had 5 kids. Hailey was the oldest at 10; Zeke was the youngest and still a baby. I think now they have about 8 kids, and little Hailey is getting married. It was fun spending time with the Lymans and we, as missionaries, always looked forward to eating with them whenever we had the chance. I have several stories involving the Lymans, but today I'll only share two.
One Sunday, we were scheduled to eat dinner with them. While at church I stood next to ten year old Hailey, and in jest asked, "What are you making for dinner tonight?" With a confused and somewhat worried look on her face she responded, "All I know how to make is pancakes." I assured her that missionaries loved pancakes, and told her that we'd see her later.
I did not really expect her to make pancakes for dinner, but when we showed up, that wonderful, sweet little girl was standing over a skillet with her mom making pancakes for us.
At the dinner table, Nathanael started telling me about a dream he had. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember that in his dream, I kidnapped him and the rest of the kids and tried to get away on a golf cart. So he said I was evil and started calling me Evil Elder.
Later, I had completely filled myself full of pancakes and was making a "I'm full" face at the table. Then out of nowhere, Hailey says, "You look like the fat kid from Matilda!" I was shocked, but my companion and everyone else started laughing. Apparently, her comment didn't sound as bad when it was in her head, because she immediately started blushing and said, "No, that's not what I mean!" The poor little thing was pretty embarrassed.
Sister Lyman knew Hailey probably meant something else, so she tried to figure out what the thought process was before making the comment. It turns out that when I made the "I'm full" face, I puffed my cheeks out and made my eyes look droopy and tired. It was the face I made that reminded her of the fat kid from Matilda, it wasn't just me. Well, at least that's what she said. :)
The Lyman kids and I when I went back to visit the mission.
The Lyman kids and I when I went back to visit the mission.


No comments:
Post a Comment